EDIT 01.06.2018 – The Battle of Britain team has been in touch to inform us that the Spitfire scheduled to fly over Saunton tomorrow has broken down. We’re sure you’ll agree that it hasn’t done badly for its age! Instead, they’re hoping🤞to be able to send a Dakota, one of the most successful aircraft designs in […]
SBE are excited to announce that Saunton D-Day 2019 has been confirmed for Saturday/Sunday (15th/16th June) Saunton Beach, North Devon.
The only living history event of its kind in the UK, Saunton D-Day takes place on historical location – amongst the dunes and on the beach where 10,000+ American GIs trained and planned for their assault on Omaha and Utah beaches.
Braunton Burrows was home to the Assault Training Center (ATC) between September 1943 and April 1944. Within this huge sand dune area remnants from the training facility exist in the form of concrete landing craft, bazooka wall and the ruins of a Matilda tank.
Saunton D-Day? 2019 is a FREE show to the public and promises to be very special event as it marks the 75th anniversary of D-Day. The programme of events over the two days includes:
* Military vehicle rally along Saunton Beach. 3 miles of open flat sand, unbeatable for tracked and amphibious vehicle owners.
* Living history Allied camps – giving insights into camp routines, training, equipment as the Allied Forces prepared for D-Day
* German camp – giving insights into lives of the ordinary German soldiers defending the beaches of Normandy in the run up to D-Day.
* Normandy defences installation – experience life on the front line.
* Weapons display of real WW2 infantry weapons and German coastal artillery
* Two major battle displays per day over the weekend illustrating the story of the Omaha Beach assault and specialist units such as the engineers.
* Schools education day (Friday) with hands on learning activities + interactive living history characters.
* Family friendly event with food and bars.
* Ample parking + beachside facilities.
If you are interested in getting involved with the event, please contact SBE firstname.lastname@example.org
We need as many ww2 living history groups as possible to fill the three miles of golden sand. Camping for your display is actually on the beach so your group can have as much room as you need. Please let us know what you will require.
The site has toilets, showers a restaurant and a cafe. There will also be a beach bar and evening entertainment on saturday night. Free parking and free camping for living history groups.
We are inviting visitors to help us to bring this occasion alive by getting into the 1940s spirit! Dig out that vintage dress, or rummage through your local charity shop for some vintage threads. You don’t have to go the whole hog – granddad’s old Trilby and a waistcoat, spotty dress and bows… get inventive and get involved!
MORE INFO AS WE GET IT – WATCH THIS SPACE!